Completed on 7 Mar 2016 by Christophe Dessimoz. Sourced from Publons: https://publons.com/review/502777.
Login to endorse this review.
My authors have satisfactorily addressed my remarks. I only have two small comments on the new analyses:
1) The comparison with other clustering methods is good addition. The fragility of hierarchical methods and "partitioning around medoid" with respect to missing data is surprising. The authors should make data and scripts available.
2) The legend of new figures 3 and 4 should be clearer. As it stands, one needs to read the main text to understand that "zero, ten, twenty" refers to percentages of missing data.
Level of interest
Please indicate how interesting you found the manuscript:
An article of limited interest
Quality of written English
Please indicate the quality of language in the manuscript:
Declaration of competing interests
Please complete a declaration of competing interests, considering the following questions:
1. Have you in the past five years received reimbursements, fees, funding, or salary from an
organisation that may in any way gain or lose financially from the publication of this
manuscript, either now or in the future?
2. Do you hold any stocks or shares in an organisation that may in any way gain or lose
financially from the publication of this manuscript, either now or in the future?
3. Do you hold or are you currently applying for any patents relating to the content of the
4. Have you received reimbursements, fees, funding, or salary from an organization that
holds or has applied for patents relating to the content of the manuscript?
5. Do you have any other financial competing interests?
6. Do you have any non-financial competing interests in relation to this paper?
If you can answer no to all of the above, write 'I declare that I have no competing interests'
below. If your reply is yes to any, please give details below.
I declare that I have no competing interests.
I agree to the open peer review policy of the journal. I understand that my name will be included
on my report to the authors and, if the manuscript is accepted for publication, my named report
including any attachments I upload will be posted on the website along with the authors'
responses. I agree for my report to be made available under an Open Access Creative Commons
CC-BY license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/). I understand that any comments
which I do not wish to be included in my named report can be included as confidential comments
to the editors, which will not be published.
I agree to the open peer review policy of the journal.
Authors' response to reviews: (https://static-content.springer.com/openpeerreview/art%3A10.1186%2Fs13742-016-0152-3/13742_2016_152_AuthorComment_V2.pdf)